Thursday, October 11, 2007

Interesting Info...See, I am learning something!

I wish I would have started this a long time ago... In my first graduate class I am taking Human Growth and Development. It is a study from conception to death and all of the changes, problems, and patterns of development that occur over the life span. I have read some of the most interesting things over the course of the class. Yesterday when I as studying for my last exam, I jotted down some facts that I thought people might be interested in. Like I said the class covers conception to death, and so all of these facts are from the last several chapters about late adulthood and death....sorry, kinda gloomy, but interesting all at the same time!

-The mid-life crisis and empty nest syndrome are just myths
-wife beating was permitted by law until the mid 1900's- beating was permitted only witha stick that was no thicker than your thumb, i.e. the rule of thumb
-15% of married couples report serious domestic violence
-8% of domestic violoence is from wives abusing their husbands
-today 1 out of 8 americans are over 65 but in 40 years it will be 1 out of 4 Americans will be over 65
-typically older adults become thinner because they lose interest in food becasue the number of taste buds on their tongue decreases
-with decreased tastebuds comes increased hypertention, high blood pressure, b/c people use excessive salt so they can taste more
-Oh this is a yucky one, 2/3 of married men and women over 70 report having sex at least once a week :)
- Life expectancy in 1775 was 35, in 1900-47, and today it is 76
-Maximum possible human life span is 120 years
- Only 5% of elderly live in nursing homes
-20% of elderly people's income goes to cover health care needs
-it costs more than $60,000 a year to live in the average nursing home
-Manditory retirement is illegal
-75% of children live within 30 miles of thier parents
-Hospice, in the middle ages, was a place for travelers to stop for comfort and hospitality (term still used in Europe today for inexpensive sleeping quarters)
-The average funeral cost s$7,000

No comments: