Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Random Acts of KINDNESS (at harris teeter)

So the past two times that I have gone to Harris Teeter grocery shopping with Caroline we have encountered people simply being kind. Last week a little old man walked up to me and gave me 50 cents. He kind of startled me and I thought he was going to ask me for money. Lesson to me on judging people...the little man handed me the money and made me promise to take Caroline up to the little dragon ride for children at the front of the store before we left. I thanked him and and he was off with a hand full of change to find other little children to make happy. I passed him later in the store and he told me "there is nothing like grandchildren...they are only small for a short time." Very sweet.
So yesterday we went to Harris Teeter again (a different one in H.P.) and another little old man approached Caroline and myself and he asked me if she had a piggy bank. I said yes but told him that he didn't need to give her a thing that him talking to her was gift enough. He fumbled through his wallet and couldn't find what he was looking to give her. So, he said goodbye to us and we went on our way. About 30 minutes later, we pass him in an aisle and he gives Caroline a dollar bill. He told me that he went to the pharmacy and exchanged some coins for the bill so that she wouldn't choke on them. He made sure to tell me several times to put it in her piggy bank, not in mommy's piggy bank...kinda funny. So many bad things happen in this world so I thought I would write about these two little but very touching acts of kindness that we experienced this week.

3 comments:

Ashlie said...

That is crazy but the cutest thing I have ever heard... It's like they have a little "old-man club" and their goal is to be nice to babies (with pretty mommies I'm sure).
I think you should send this to the paper... It's a great "feel good" story!

Erin Phillips said...

In a world full of skepticism and craziness, it makes you feel hopeful in the goodness of mankind. Love that story! Little old men aren't always dirty. ;-)

Christina Soto said...

OMG, I could cry! What sweet people! Ashlie is right - you should write to the paper - that would be neat. So refreshing to hear after I was so down on the world last night after watching the news...