Thursday, May 29, 2008

My "intense" intensive

So I guess they call this class an intensive not only because we are in the classroom for almost eight hours a day for five day straight but because of all of the intense, powerful emotions that I have felt this week. Wow, where do I begin in explaining all of the wonderful moments that I have experienced this week. First of all, this is a group counseling class. We are learning how to lead therapy groups but we are also experiencing the power of being a member of a group. The University doesn't want to send out a bunch of therapistsout into the world that have deep issues to face so we are participating in group therapy ourselves this week. I have never been to counseling so this has all been new to me. My small group consists of five members. We are all so very different. There is a southern baptist minister, an air force linguist who is morman, one African American woman with five children, and one very thoughtful and quiet young man. This group couldn't be more different, ranging in ages from 25-45 and coming from all over the US...North Carolina, Georgia, California, and Delaware. Despite our great differences, we have gotten to know each other on a level deeper than most relationships that I have had for years. I have learned so much about myself personally, so much about God, and soooo much about the counseling professsion. There are have been several intense, emotional days that have been enlightening to me and to everyone in the class. I feel like the lessons that I have taken from this week will stick with me for the rest of my life and hopefully will make me a better person. I could write a 10 page blog entry on all of the wonderful things I have witnessed and learned here. Really good stuff if you ever want to have a long conversation with me:) I'm ready to get back home and see my precious Caroline and my sweet husband Tony but I will really hate for this classroom experience to end. It has been so refreshing to see other students and interact with others on my same path as I do most of my work on the computer at home. Lynchburg, Virginia is really a beautiful place if you ever want a visit! It's been a very special week. I have to thank Tony and my parents for caring for our precious daughter this week so that I could have the opportunity to come here! I know it is a lot to work and take care of a very energized toddler for a week! Thank you so much!

2 comments:

Ashlie said...

Mols, I cannot wait to hear more about last week. Tonight was so much fun but it was way too short! I love you dearly. I cherish our friendship. And, I am so proud of everything you are doing to embrace life.

AllMyPieces said...

Thank you for your post. I am leaving for COUN 505 intensive this week and I was wondering if you have any pointers to offer. Thanks so much! Rebecca
stowesails@yahoo.com